Q. I need help with creating an outline
Here is a video that will help you learn how to outline - Outlining Tutorial
- What is the topic being researched? Often this centers around, “what is the problem being studied,” or “what is the theme of the overall assignment.”
- Identify any themes that you would like to include in your introduction. Often the introduction will give the reader a background of the topic. You might want to even include definitions.
- Broadest Topic (Remember the funnel approach). You might want to write what you anticipate using for the section header.
- Try to develop a level 2 section header or a topic sentence.
- What are the main points/findings?
- Include research, quotations, and claims that support this topic.
- Remember to continue narrowing. Each section is presented in a funnel approach method.
- Topic but narrow some more – follow A, B, C, and numbers above.
- Keep repeating the process until you have exhausted your ideas and topics.
- What were the strengths, weaknesses, gaps or limitations?
- What were the major findings?
- What were similarities or differences found?
Can't find an answer to your question?
View resources on the ASC Website or use the options below:
ASC Chat is currently staffed by an academic coach the following times (Pacific Time):
Sunday 12:00-5:00 p.m.
Monday 10:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
Tuesday 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Wednesday 10:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
Thursday 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.; 9:00-10:00 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
If there is not a coach on duty, submit your question via Ask a Coach. We will answer you once a coach is available.