Q. I've been assigned to write a synthesis, or told I need to better synthesize my research. How do I go about doing this?
Synthesizing means incorporating various research or ideas into your papers, while noting similarities, differences, or relationships between the different perspectives or evidence. Synthesis will highlight when some research builds upon or validates other research, or, conversely, when it contradicts or disagrees with it. A synthesis may also identify gaps in the research.
Beyond integrating various resources, when a writer synthesizes successfully, they present new ideas based on interpretations and comparison of the research. Critical reading and critical thinking are key components of successful synthesizing.
First, carefully read course materials on synthesis and email your faculty member with any questions.
After you have reviewed any course assigned materials, you may want to consult the following online resources:
- Climbing the Ladder to Bloom's Taxonomy - https://vac.ncu.edu/sites/default/files/file_file/climbing_the_ladder_to_blooms_taxonomy.pdf
- Help... I've Been Asked to Synthesize! - https://www.bgsu.edu/content/dam/BGSU/learning-commons/documents/writing/synthesis/asked-to-synthesize.pdf
- Introduction to Synthesis - https://www.msu.edu/~jdowell/135/Synthesis.html
- The Literature Review – Synthesize (Include e-lecture) - http://guides.library.harvard.edu/c.php?g=310271&p=2071511
- Literature Review: Synthesizing Multiple Sources - http://guides.library.vcu.edu/ld.php?content_id=1720462
- A Synthesis Matrix as a Tool for Analyzing and Synthesizing Prior Research - http://www.academiccoachingandwriting.org/dissertation-doctor/dissertation-doctor-blog/iii-a-synthesis-matrix-as-a-tool-for-analyzing-and-synthesizing-prior-research/
- Synthesis Writing - http://www.users.drew.edu/~sjamieso/Synthesis.htm
- Using Evidence: Synthesis - http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/evidence/synthesis
- Writing an Article Synthesis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqJ6lQimP3k
- Writing a Literature Review and Using a Synthesis Matrix - https://writingcenter.fiu.edu/resources/synthesis-matrix-2.pdf
For additional assistance, contact the Academic Success Center by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or chat live daily from 3 pm-10 pm Pacific Time via the Commons: https://vac.ncu.edu/writing-center-commons/. On the right-hand side of the screen, click the link for ASC Live Chat.
Ask a Librarian
Can't find an answer to your question?