Q. How do I locate corporate social responsibility ratings, or Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) scores ?
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) scores are accessible for leading companies by industry in the Mergent Online database.
To access ESG scores for leading companies by industry in Mergent Online, use the following steps:
- From the A-Z Databases list, select Mergent Online.
- On the main navigation bar, click on the Industry Analysis tab.
- You will be redirected to a new page. Under the Search by Industry box, place a checkmark next to a specific industry and click Search.
- The following page will display a list of reports by date and region for your chosen industry. Click View to read the report in HTML format, or click on the icon in the Report column to read in PDF format.
- Scroll to the Environmental, Social and Governance section of the report. You will also find a table that lists the ESG ratings of selected leading companies.
The following websites rate or rank the social responsibility of companies:
- Ethisphere - Provides an annual listing of the World's Most Ethical Companies.
- Fortune Change the World - Ranks companies that aim to make a profit while making a difference in the world.
- Global100 - An index of the Global 100 most sustainable corporations in the world. Fill in your name and email in order to get the free results.
- Reputation Institute - Provides a free report that you can download that analyzes the top 10 and the top 100 corporate reputations for CSR globally. Select Insight from the main menu. You will be asked to enter your name, email, and affiliation.
- RobecoSAM - Dow Jones Sustainability Indices cover over 600 ESG indicators for over 4,000 global companies.
For websites that provide background information or reports on social responsibility issues and companies, see the Library's Corporate Social Responsibility Guide.
While the NCU Library does not currently subscribe to these resources, the below commercial databases provide comprehensive ratings or rankings on the social responsibility of companies. Users may consider an individual subscription by contacting the vendors directly. We apologize for the inconvenience. However, we will continue to monitor the demand for this type of information.
- CSRHub - Provides access to corporate social responsibility and sustainability ratings and information on 17,580+ companies from 135 industries in 133 countries. Contact information is found on their Contact Us page.
- MSCI - Provides research, benchmarks, compliance, and consulting services analogous to those provided by financial research service firms. Includes the MSCI ESG Ratings. For Environmental, Social and Governance products and services, please contact ESG Client Service at email@example.com or call: 212-804-5299.
- Sustainalytics - Provides company environmental, social, and governance (ESG) data. Sustainalytics is committed to being a reputable data provider for academic research. Both students and full-time academics are therefore invited to submit data requests through this online form.
- Thomson Reuters ESG research data - contains information on over 6,000+ global companies and over 400 metrics, including all exclusion (ethical screening) criteria and all aspects of sustainability performance. You may contact the sales department by clicking here.
Can't find an answer to your question?
Use the options below: